Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bouncing Off My Insides

Ash Wednesday.
The beginning of my favourite season
of the church calendar.
Inward looking.
Outward actions.
Stuff that doesn't take a special season
to be reality, but a special season helps
me be more mindful.

I used to look for big accomplishments.
Change my whole world kind of thinking.
Impossible expectations.
They left me feeling a failure.
These days I hope to simply keep
putting one foot in front of the other
in a good direction.
"Repent and return to the gospel"
is a good direction.

The question that continues
to haunt me
is when Jesus asks,
"Who do you say that I am?"
There was a time when I felt answering that
took no more thought
than whatever the prescribed "right" answer was.
Today that question continues
to reverberate and
bounce off my insides.


5 comments:

mile191 said...

this is amazing. I really feel that you get how I feel inside, and it is nice to feel like i can belong somewhere. thanks for sharing and empowering others to be okay being where and who they are. really, thanks. hugs.

Pru said...

"Who do you say I am?"

The first thing that popped into my head was 'scary'. Then, with a bit of thought, 'fucking scary'.

Huh.

And did you seriously say "I heart curling" in the post beneath this? You surprise me and make me laugh. To quote a friend - I have a little crush on you right now. :)

Unknown said...

You so read my mind, i am posting about Lent today, one of my favorite parts of the year...thank you again for the reminder!

daisymarie said...

Oooo, good question. And who do we say he is in our actions, not just our words.

Anonymous said...

Hope, from one of your posts the other day, I was inspired to take this time of lent to finally dedicate the beginning of my day to some prayer/meditation. Hopefully, I will develop a good habit for a change. So, you are, in fact, having an impact on my world.

Mich