Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Note to Self: Don't Be A Story Stealer

I've been blessed with having several people in my life who honour my journey. They not only honour my story but they want me to own it for myself. They don't want my story to match theirs. They are comfortable with their own story so they don't have a need to control mine.

Part of my story right now is that I am a recent convert to Catholicism while still attending an evangelical Protestant Church with my husband and kids.

There have been people in my journey who I feel like I have to protect my story from so they won't try to contaminate it. It only happens with people who I think won't agree with my story - who will feel the need to correct my story and make it match up with theirs.

The other day I was listening to the sermon and judging the Pastor in my head for where he is in his journey when this thought came to me, "When you judge the journey of others you are trying to steal their story from them. Don't steal their stories."

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Oh God help me stop being a story stealer.

No comments: